May 10 2010

Puzzle Runners passes the black triangle!

(Puzzle Runners is the the title of the game I mentioned in this post. I’m pretty bad at staying cryptic. :))

So, a few minutes ago I had my black triangle moment for this project!! The single player game works, but I knew that wasn’t going to be a problem. I’ve never done any type of multiplayer before and I’m using PlayerIO‘s white label multiplayer servers. I wasn’t sure I could pull that off, because PlayerIO assumes that you’re developing your client with Flash… but I don’t actually use the Flash authoring tool, I write my code in FlashDevelop and compile with the FlexSDK.

Anyway, despite (actually, in part because I’m) using a bounce server, Puzzle Runners needs a (for my skill level) fairly complex message handling system. I’ve spent the past 5 days trying to get it to come together. And now it has:

What you’re seeing is a screenshot of FD’s output window, which is where traces are displayed. (In AS3 traces are basically console print statements to aid in debugging). In the screenshot, the client has received a message asking for an index needed for part of the setup (type A1), and then generated and sent a message containing that index (type A2). And the A1 message was originally generated by a second client, and bounced off the remote server. So my message handler works! PlayerIO works happily with the FlexSDK! There are no major (technical) hurdles left to building the game! :)

-TF

May 03 2010

What I’m slowly working on

So, LD17 is over, but I am working on another project. I actually started work on April 7th, thinking I’d have it done in time to release before LD, planning to use it as a warm-up for the contest since I hadn’t programmed anything in a while.

Yeah, right. :)

But it’s been turning into a decent little game.  Here’s a screenshot over on the right. (My drawing ability has not magically improved, the sprites are from here, a Japanese team called REFMAP with a license friendly to commercial games.) If you look closely, there’s enough information in that screen shot to tell what the game is about. Otherwise you’ll have to wait a few weeks for the public beta. ;)

You’ll notice that one of the characters is named, ‘Guest’.  Although I’m implementing at least two player authentication systems, if you don’t have an account with one of them, and don’t want to sign up for one, you’ll still be able to play. Unlike one recently released indie game. Whose development I’ve been following. And which I wanted to try  :(

At the moment, the other characters are actually AI’s. To get the names I found a list of popular names for babies, published by the Social Security Administration. I wouldn’t have remembered that, but this time I’m keeping a log of my work, in addition to my (paper) design notebook.

The single player mode is -done-. There’s still a lot of UI work, and getting the multiplayer mode running. (Fortunately, I wrote the single player mode in such a way that this should be easy. Well, easy-ish anyways…)

-TF

(Being cryptic about upcoming games is apparently the in thing these days.)